Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Computer-Generated Articles vs. Human Journalists



This is the article involved with this post. :D


Computer-generated articles have recently been used to create news for the people. This leaves the question as to how human journalists will continue on, as they might be replaced by this new software. Personally I think they have nothing to worry about. A person's personal opinion is more interesting than some technology that rambles on about the same thing and just giving straight facts. A journalist can get up front and personal with the incident and get quotes or add in personal experiences.

A human journalist can also get facts wrong and exaggerate what really happened, when a computer can give it straight forward as to what exactly happened. Computers are basically all-knowing and therefore can get all the facts right in an articles posts. It just lacks the personal opinions/experiences. So I believe that both will always be around, providing the news to people who want interesting stories and those who want facts.

2 comments:

  1. This is a response to the article of computer generated stories. I have to disagree with Shane on the fact that these computer stories lack human aspect. Even the article says these stories sound like a human constructed them. Although they want to use this technology for local sports it will without a doubt work its way to the top. It is also cheaper than paying a journilist. I hope this technology isn't used to end the journalism line of work. by Ryan Payne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to read a few articles generated by a computer to know for sure, but I think this will be bad for journalism overall. A computer just can't have the same flair and tone that a human wirter is able to produce, and it makes me think that these cg articles will lack the uniqueness that every single person has when it comes to writing style.

    ReplyDelete